There are plenty of excellent golfing opportunities available when you’re living on the Big Island, especially on the west side! It’s true most decent-sized communities have at least one golf course, but few can claim their golf courses are among the best in the world, boasting warm ocean breezes and lush, tropical views all year long.
Private Golf Opportunities Abound on the West Side of the Big Island
There are many reasons so many people are interested in retiring in Hawaii. The views are stunning, the weather is mild all year round, the lifestyle is casual and relaxed and golf is king. There are golfing opportunities to appeal to any handicap and any budget. In fact, so much Big Island real estate is devoted to golf courses you can play a different course for weeks without running out of options. Many Big Island newcomers do just that – they get to know their new home by club hopping. For many folks, the golf club they decide to join becomes a second home. The people they’ll meet there become like family. If you plan to move or will be retiring in Hawaii, some of the top private golfing clubs to check out include:
- Nanea Golf Club – This invitation-only club is the most exclusive golf club in all of Hawaii.
- The Club at Hokuli’a – You can golf as you enjoy soft ocean breezes on every hole.
- Kukio Golf and Beach Club – Both the 10- and 18-hole courses were designed by golf great Tom Fazio.
- Hualala Golf Course – This picturesque Jack Nicklaus-designed course is home to the PGA’s annual Mitsubishi Electric Championship.
Public Courses Are Plentiful Too!
If joining an upscale private golf club isn’t in your budget, or you simply enjoy a lower-key approach to the game, you’ll find outstanding public golf courses living on the Big Island. Here are two of the best:
- Waikoloa Beach Golf Resort – Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., this course is set high atop the lava coast.
- Big Island Country Club – Designed by Pete Dye, this course boasts nearly 7,100 yards of play from the deepest tees, equating to a par 72.
If your retirement dreams involve living on the Big Island and enjoying year-round golf, contact us. We’ll help you find the perfect place to serve as home base for your sporting adventures!